Sunday, May 13, 2007

Finale

We have arrived home safe and sound. We managed 700 miles and no punctures and nothing went wrong with the bike. Our last couple of days were spent in Singapore. We visited all the recommended sites and Jeff even let I have a day shopping on Orchard Road - the largest road full of wonderful clothes shops! He came along as well ( this was a great surprise as like many men he hates shopping) but he did it and in fact after 4 hours I got fed up as there were just too many shops and it was very hot. Of course the real problem was that we had limited space in our panniers, we were already well over our baggage allowance, and I knew that if I really did some serious retail therapy I would need a haulage truck to get it home! So to the surprise of many of my friends I resisted all temptation and only window shopped.
Jeff did remark to me as we walked up Orchard Road remember this noise when we are back at our home in Cyprus because it was very noisy everywhere. Singapore was a bit of a shock having spent 4 weeks in Malaysia suddenly to find ones self in a place not dissimilar to central New York with skyscrapers and the hustle and bustle of traffic and people. Still it was an experience.
I think we realised that the journey was the holiday because we both got impatient when we spent more than a day anywhere and felt most comfortable when we were on the bike travelling to our next destination.
We overall found the locals in every village we went to very welcoming and friendly particularly in the Muslim areas where the women showed delight at seeing a woman on the back of the tandem. Whereas the men showed shocked expressions on their faces.
For those of you who are interested we will post our photographs on this blog when we have sorted them out.
We hope this was the first of many such adventures and that you will be able to join us again on our next blog.
Adieu Jeff and Linda

1 comment:

Charlotte Howard said...

Hi Jeff.

Have just been looking at your blog, in wonder!

My real reason for contacting is to say a very big thank you to you on behalf of all in the Group back at StEds. We have had our AGM with Sara as Chairman, Nigel as Vice, and lucky old me as secretary! John of course remains leader.

Did you know we got 36 elected? So many that we have to meet in the chamber.

Ayway, it was at that meeting that I was asked to make contact and thank you, and its good to be able to do so publicly.

Hope all is well with you both. My blog is paulfarmer.blogspot.com